Tuesday, February 17, 2004

Mid-Atlantic Nav Conference

I have quite a bit to say about this past weekend. I would have said it earlier but I got to come back to a research proposal that was due today. My final title for that being Effect of Human Presence on Flight Initiation and Habituation in American Goldfinch (Carduelis tristis), which is just a fancy way of saying I'm going to see how close I can get to the birdfeeder before I scare the birds off. Scientific writing is great. I mean, at least you sound like you know what you are talking about.

Right, so back to the conference. I'm going to have to do this one in two parts: what happened, and what I learned (as I am still trying to get it all into words).
The conference was a blast. I love road trips anyway, so spending 5 hours in a car with some really great people just rocks. So the way up, my group was the last to depart, but it's all good. After last week, I was just glad to be in the car. Laura and I got to catch up. I got to talk with Nate and Josh, a couple of guys that I haven't really been able to get to know much until then. So it was really fun.
Our speaker for the weekend was Mike Jordahl, National Navigator Collegiate Director. Good stuff, man. The theme was a new thing and we drew a lot from Isaiah 43. wow...

Back on track. We had a lot of time for fun/mischief and Laura and I managed to start a snowball fight. Well, we started one...it didn't really last. But there was time set aside for group prayer for our campuses. An hour was not nearly enough time, we still had so much to pray over. And there were a lot of campuses represented: Maryland, PennState, Rutgers, VT, Howard and more that I can't think of off hand (helps that I lost my program from the weekend).
After a couple more sessions talking about new purpose, new paths to walk in, and the like (more later), we had more good fellowship time. There was an open mic night in the dining hall but the VT group migrated to the gym. Where there is any concentration of VTNavs, there is a good chance that swing will break out. That probability increases if someone managed to remember to bring swing music (as I had) and there is an available stereo (which there was). So really, it was inevitable.

I was definitely not ready to come home on Sunday. I woke up early and just sat outside taking in the view. We were up in Greencastle, PA at Camp Joy-El. Absolutely beautiful up there. We were in the middle of farmland and everything was covered in snow, sigh...There was even a stream with a small waterfall. More session Sunday and we headed home around 2 or so. Carloads got shuffled for the ride home so it turned out that Laura and I wound up in Robbie's truck. Laura slept the whole way home so it was just Robbie (yes I am actually friends with the HokiePundit, you should all be insanely jealous) and me and ska for 4.5 hours straight. I'm definitely going to have to get ahold of some of those cds...

To top it all up, when we got back, it was snowing in Blacksburg. What an end. I was so exhausted I was actually in bed by 9. I haven't gone to bed that early in quite some time.

I promise, I've got more substantive stuff coming about what we studied and how God (quite literally) knocked me off my feet and to my knees this weekend. All I can say for now on that is, "He is amazingly faithful."

No comments:

Post a Comment