Monday, November 29, 2004

Blacksburg Academics

(No this is not about us schooling the 'hoos yesterday, although that would be a really great title for such a post.)

I've been sitting here for the past few hours (I think the counter has just ticked past 7) drinking coffee from my John Deere mug and researching the 1933 Agricultural Adjustment Act. By the way, why is it called research when this is the first time I have seen any of this information?
Ok, that was beside the point (not that I really have one). So, I've been sifting through book after book on Agricultural History and the like finding gem-quotes like:
God made the country, man made the city, and the devil made the suburbs and the country clubs. --Russell Lord


As stressed as I am about all the work I have to do this week (3 killer papers all due Thursday) I actually enjoy doing the research. I learned this system in high school for writing papers (I think my history teacher kept urging us to try it) and it hasn't failed me yet. When researching, I write down each point or piece of data on a seperate index card (for this paper I've got a stack of 200 or so) then I group the cards by category (instant outline) and put them in an order that makes sense. That way, when I write the paper I just have to write transition statements from one card to the next...it goes much smoother that way.
I know, I'm a nerd but it works for me. I really don't know why I decided to post this, maybe I want to live up to the line before buy it. What's worse though: me writing this dribble or you reading it?

Ponder this well and grow in wisdom as you reflect. -- Norman Scott Brien Gras.

No comments:

Post a Comment