Wednesday, June 16, 2004

Well, that's one thing done.

I got my hair cut today. I only took off seven inches, so it's still not what most people would consider short, but it's enough of a change for me. My hair had gotten long enough that it was past my waistline, long enough that my hairdresser had to have me stand so she could reach to cut, long enough that I could say it was only seven inches.

But this isn't about hair (or haircuts), it's that I actually did something. I have been pretty non-productive since I've been home which, in a way, is wonderful. But I have done more these past three days--since my mom has been home--than I've done the entire month I've been here. I can't get away with being lazy, which is good.

I've noticed that I have the bad habit of taking on too many things at once. Actually, I don't take on multiple things at the same time...I start one thing and then, before I finish, I start another, and another, and another....so nothing ever really gets done (kind of like this sentence). Take books for example, right now I am reading four different books. (I have a feeling that the number is actually higher but there are some books that I haven't touched in such a long time that I've forgotten I was reading them.) Crafts too: I've got two scarves, a sampler, and a set of lamps that I'm working on. I have lists and lists of lists of things that are "in progress" so when I manage to finish something it's a pleasant surprise.

I have started change things. I set three of the four books aside to concentrate on one (Sinclair Lewis' Babbitt). I'm working on one scarf. I'm getting myself to focus on one thing at a time. I have a problem with finishing things, but I'm working on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment